Forensic Scientist 2 - Impression Evidence / Latent Print Discipline
This announcement is being used to fill an Impression Evidence/Latent Print unit Forensic Scientist 2 (FS2) position. The Forensic Scientist 2 (FS2)
is an experienced scientist level position with ISP Forensic Services. The incumbent will be certified as an FS2 upon successful completion of a
specified training program and two (2) years' experience in the FS1 position (or) demonstration of meeting the minimum qualifications and
*qualifying work experience of an FS2 position and a six-month probationary period of 1,040 hours. Pay will be adjusted accordingly at the time
the incumbent is certified as a FS2.
*Qualifying work experience for the Impression Evidence/Latent Print unit Forensic Scientist 2 includes a minimum of two (2) years working
independently, planning, managing, and prioritizing impression evidence casework; performing and documenting a range of examinations
regarding forensic impression evidence; providing training and consultation services to professional criminal justice and scientific audiences; and
testifying as an expert regarding forensic impression evidence examinations performed as applicable.
All Idaho State Police Forensic Laboratories are accredited by A2LA and to the ISO 17025 Standard. State Police Forensic Laboratories serve state,
local, and federal law enforcement agencies; state and county prosecutors; and public defenders.
You MUST attach your unofficial college transcript(s) to this application by the closing date. Applications without the supporting
transcripts will not be accepted.
PLEASE NOTE: The successful applicant will be required to complete a background investigation and polygraph examination, which
includes drug screening. Please review the ISP Drug Policy and ISP Grooming and Appearance Standards.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
• Maintain established standards of laboratory cleanliness, safety, and efficiency.
• Provide scientific and technical expertise in latent print processing and comparison.
• Follow analytical methods and the quality and safety procedures.
• Document quality controls and work.
• Ensure that the reports issued for analysis they perform are accurate.
• Report results of all analysis performed through electronic laboratory information management system.
• Provide expert testimony when applicable.
• Perform analysis in only examinations they are approved to perform.
• Technical review of casework.
• Administrative review of casework.
• Report deficiencies to supervisor.
• Perform technical audits.
• Perform validation studies to investigate and implement new methodologies.
• Train police officers and corrections staff in collection and packaging of evidence and exemplars.
• Participate in routine quality control measures, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting.
• Conduct complex examinations of evidence and develop analytical findings in latent print examinations (ACE-V).
• Provide expert opinion and witness testimony regarding scientific findings.
• Interpret findings for prosecutors and defense attorneys, prepare attorneys for presentation of findings.
• Provide assistance at complex crime scenes and collect exemplars at autopsies.
• A baccalaureate degree or advanced degree as designated by ISP Forensic Services policy for the analytical discipline and two years of
*qualifying work experience as a forensic scientist supported by appropriate training
• *Qualifying work experience includes: working independently, planning, managing, and prioritizing caseloads, successfully engaging in
independent research, evaluation, and validation activities
• Performing and documenting a range of examinations regarding forensic evidence
• Providing training and consultation services to professional criminal justice and scientific audiences
• Testifying as an expert regarding the forensic examinations performed
NOTE: Specific college coursework requirements vary depending on the discipline. For example, DNA analysts have to meet the
training/coursework requirements established by the DNA Advisory Board and controlled substances analysts have to meet the educational
standards established by SWGDRUG.
NOTE: Specific college coursework and certification requirements vary depending on the discipline.
Must have college coursework in a relevant physical or biological science which may include biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and/or physics. A
statistics course may be applied to meeting the minimum coursework hours (coursework hours as required/stipulated by the current ISPFS Quality
The successful candidate will be required to obtain certification by the International Association of Identification as a Certified Latent Print
Examiner within three (3) years of being selected for or promoted to a Forensic Scientist 2 position.
Note: ISPFS analyst and management applicant's baccalaureate, masters or doctoral degree must be in a physical or biological science from an
accredited U.S. or Canadian institution. Acceptable institutions are those accredited by or those which have pertinent educational programs
accredited by commissions or agencies recognized by the U.S. Office of Education.
Applicants with education obtained at a foreign institution must, at their expense, have credentials evaluated by Educational Credential
Evaluators, Inc., Milwaukee, WI; International Education Research Foundation, Inc., Los Angeles, CA; or world Education Services, Inc., New York,
NY. Reports must be sent directly to ISP Human Resources by the evaluating organization.
Desirable Qualifications which will Provide Extra Credit:
The following are not requirements for the Forensic Scientist 2 position. However, if you do have qualifications/experience in any of these areas
include that information in your resume:
• Certification with the International Association for Identification as a Certified Tenprint examiner, Certified Crime Scene Examiner, or
Certified Latent Print Examiner
• Member of related professional organization(s)
• Experience using ABIS as an analyst or administrator
ISP has a salary plan called Project CHOICE (Creating Hope, Opportunity, and Incentive for Career Employment) designed to provide
incentives for recruitment and retention. The Project CHOICE plan distributes pay increases to employees for the attainment of certificates and
other achievements relevant to their job class and the ISP mission. The purpose of Project CHOICE is to attract potential applicants to the ISP
workforce, retain the workforce already in place, and reward employees who take on additional duties or tasks, and who work to better
themselves in academic and professional settings.
Forensic scientists and lab management personnel earn CHOICE pay increases for a variety of discipline specific achievements related to skill
acquisition. A few of these are listed below:
• Bachelor Degree - $1.25/hour
• Master Degree - $1.75/hour
• Doctorate - $2.25/hour (only the highest college degree attained is awarded)
• Completion of Probation/Independent Casework- $1.00/hour
• Proficiency Test in two Disciplines - $.30/hour
• Clan Lab/Crime Scene - $.45/hour
• Serve as an ISO 17025 or ISO 17020 Assessor - $.30/hour
• Forensics Specialty Areas Certification: $.50/hour for up to 2 areas of expertise
◦ American Board of Criminalistics (ABC) Diplomate
◦ ABC Fellow in a Specialty
◦ International Association for Identification (IAI) Latent Fingerprint Analyst
◦ Association of Firearm & Tool Mark Examiners (AFTE) Firearms Examiner or equivalent
◦ American Board of Forensic Toxicology (ABFT) or equivalent
◦ IAI Footwear Examiner
• Lab Safety Officer - $.30/hour
• Deputy Quality Manager - $.30/hour
• CODIS Administrator - $.30/hour
Idaho State Police
$27.36 - $38.01 Hourly - $56,908.80 to $79,060.80 Annually
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
Please make sure your resume and personal information contained in your profile supports your answers to the questions.
ISP Forensic Scientist 2 - Impression Evidence / Latent Print Discipline Supplemental
* 1. ISP - Forensic Scientist MQ1 I have baccalaureate degree in a physical science, natural science,
forensic science or a closely related field from a regionally accredited college or university. (If your
degree has not been awarded but will be awarded by the closing date on this announcement, you
may mark "yes" below.) You must have a qualifying degree by the closing date on this
announcement to be considered for this position.
* 2. ISP - Forensic Scientist MQ2 I have successfully completed a minimum of twelve (12) semester (or
18 quarter) units of college level studies in a relevant physical or biological science which may
include biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and/or physics.
* 3. ISP - Forensic Scientist MQ3 I have two (2) years of *qualifying work experience as an independent
forensic impression evidence analyst. * Qualifying work experience includes working independently,
planning, managing, and prioritizing impression evidence casework; performing and documenting a
range of examinations regarding forensic impression evidence; providing training and consultation
services to professional criminal justice and scientific audiences; and testifying as an expert
regarding forensic impression evidence examinations performed as applicable.
* 4. ISP - Forensic Scientist MQ4 I certify that the answers I provided are accurate and supported by my
official transcripts and other necessary documentation.
* 5.ISP - Forensic Scientist EXTRA CREDIT: Do you have a certification with the International Association
for Identification? This is not a minimum requirement but certification may increase your score.
Certified Tenprint Examiner
Certified Crime Scene Examiner
Certified Latent Print Examiner
* 6. ISP - Forensic Scientist EXTRA CREDIT: I belong to a professional forensic science organization. This
is not a minimum requirement but having membership(s) may increase your score.
I belong to one organization
I belong to two organizations
I belong to three or more organizations
* 7. ISP - Forensic Scientist EXTRA CREDIT: You may receive extra credit for experience using ABIS as an
analyst or administrator and knowledge of the ABIS operation. If you have this experience, please
check your highest level of experience.
* Required Question