In 2022, IADLEST and LAPSEN launched the Certified Youth Instructor Program (CYI) to recognize and acknowledge the Nation’s FINEST instructors who work in schools and youth programs designed to foster careers in law enforcement. These individuals display the “best practices” in training delivery by being highly recommended by their schools, youth program directors or the LEAs for whom they work. This program is for all instructors working with youth in law enforcement career programs and related public safety programs.
What are the benefits of becoming a Certified Youth Instructor?
- You will demonstrate your commitment to the highest standards of education excellence.
- You will receive a certificate suitable for framing.
- Your instructional bio and photo will be posted on the IADLEST Certified Youth Instructor webpage.
- You will receive access to IADLEST’s National Law Enforcement Academy Resource Center with links to current training, news about trends in law enforcement education, lesson plans, instructor resources, and articles related to law enforcement training and education.
- You will receive a Certified Youth Instructor lapel pin.
- You will become eligible ot join the LAPSEN Training and Technical Assistance Group (TTAG) at no extra cost.
- You may use the Certified Youth Instructor (CYI) acronym on your business cards, letterhead, etc.
What are the Requirements to become a Certified Youth Instructor?
Complete the IADLEST/LAPSEN Certified Youth Instructor Application. You may download the application form here:
Application for CYI Certification
- Submit a current resume outlining your specific law enforcement teaching and curriculum development law enforcement experience indicating more than three (3) years of teaching experience in the law enforcement/public safety field as pertains to youth (ages 14-20).
- Include an instructional bio, not to exceed 500 words, and a professional photo. These items will be displayed on the IADLEST CYI Instructor webpage after certification is granted.
- Submit an endorsement from your School Principal, Program Director or a Law Enforcement Administrator OR three (3) letters of recommendation from Law Enforcement CEOs attesting to your skills and abilities as a youth instructor. They will be contacted as a part of the verification process.
- Submit one lesson plan that you have developed, modified or used that can be shared with other instructors around the country.
- Pay a $50 application fee. ($40 for renewals) Initial certification and renewals are for a term of two years.
If you have questions about the certification program you may contact Leah Besonen via EMAIL, or phone: 208-288-5491