Police Academy Academic Director
Background: The Baltimore City Police Department is seeking a highly qualified, results-oriented, professional to serve as Police Academy Academic Director. The Director is responsible for overseeing, managing and supporting the design, implementation, management and evaluation of training programs for the Baltimore Police Department. The Director will facilitate professional development and continuing education and ensure all personnel are highly qualified and well equipped to perform their duties in a constitutional and impartial manner. The ideal candidate will be forward-thinking, strategic and innovative including leveraging information technology to help achieve continuous improvement.
The BPD Academy provides initial training to new recruits, required annual training to all officers, and specialized training to individual units and newly promoted officers. The Director will evaluate Academy faculty, develop new training curricula and lesson plans, and provide guidance on methods and practices of teaching to Academy staff and adjunct instructors. The Director will ensure the academic integrity of the Academy and the training programs offered, promote innovative teaching techniques and manage partnerships with local universities and colleges. The Director will help the Academy implement and maintain compliance with a series of important reforms mandated by the Consent Decree that BPD has entered into with the U.S. Department of Justice. The position reports to the Deputy Commissioner of Compliance.
- Facilitate the design, development and delivery of training programs for the BPD Academy.
- Structure and create courses of instruction, curricula and lesson plans for the Academy’s primary course modules, including Recruit Training, In-Service Training, and specialized training.
- Implement standardized assessments that will ensure curricula is aligned with the BPD objectives and provides data to inform instruction and ensure what is learned is applied.
- Oversee systematic and routine assessments of both instructors and instructor material to measure and plan continuous improvement.
- Oversee and drive implementation of required Consent Decree reforms, including new training policies, and lesson plan and curricula development.
- Review and approve primary instructional materials such as curricula and lesson plans.
- Manage the hiring, retention and assignment of Academy faculty.
- Provide and monitor a comprehensive professional development plan for all instructors.
- Ensure that Academy methods and practices of teaching reflect educational best practices.
- Build a culture of sharing of effective practices among instructional staff by facilitating cross-class observations, co-planning sessions, and ad-hoc meetings as necessary.
- Serve as a consultant to instructors in matters of classroom management, teaching methods, and general Academy procedures.
- Coordinate the delivery of recruit training, in-service training, and specialized training on an annual basis.
- Manage partnerships with local colleges and universities as well as internal and external subject-matter-experts and vendors to deliver training.
- Assist with training material review, selection and purchasing process.
- Ensure compliance with legal requirements of government regulations and agencies.
Experience and Education:
- A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Degree in criminology, criminal justice, education, public administration or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- At least five years of continued academic teaching experience in an institution of higher learning.
- Four years of experience in progressive supervisory or administrative roles in higher education.
- A demonstrated publication record.
- The candidate must possess or receive and maintain a certification from the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions.
- Demonstrated planning, development and execution skills.
- Demonstrated presentation, inter-personal, and effective communication skills.
- Prior Consent Decree experience preferred.
Baltimore City Police Department
Salary Range: $113,196 - $150,026 - $186,856