Baby Boomers will begin turning 65 years old in 2011. By the year 2030, those over 65 will constitute the largest segment of the U.S. population. Ulimately this group will comprise a quarter of all licenced drivers.
Law enforcement officers must understand and address the needs of the older driver population, interact efficiently and appropriately respond to challenges to highway safety.
In cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), IADLEST has developed a comprehensive law enforcement instructor training program that will:
- Dispel preconceived notions about aging
- Demonstrate effective communication techniques
- Provide guidance on traffic stops
- Discuss referrals to licensing and other authorities
- Provide cues for identifying at-risk drivers
- Discuss appropriate enforcement actions
- Suggest opportunities for improving community relations
IADLEST can provide this highly effective program throughout the United States.
For further information, contact Doug Graves, Project Manager at 208-407-8640 or DougGraves@Cableone.net.
An informational brochure is available for download.